The church at 2312 S Washington Ave is now New Beginnings Life Changing Ministries but here is what is written on the historical marker.
Begun in 1865 as a Sunday School for children of this area, the Presbyterian Church of South Saginaw was formally organized on November 10, 1866. Shortly afterwards, the congregation purchased a small building in the corner of Washington and Williamson. In 1872 Norman Miller of Saginaw City gave the congregation the lot across the street from the original church. The frame structure was moved to that site, and worship services were held there until 1885, when the present brick church was erected on the same lot. With the consolidation of the cities of East Saginaw and South Saginaw, the church became known as the Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church. The city’s first Boy Scout troop was chartered at this church and one of its most outstanding members, William M. Brucker, ruling elder of the congregation for many years was governor of the State of Michigan from 1931 through 1932.
Subscribe to Pure Saginaw