The Saginaw brewing company was started by Louis Darmstatter in 1865 after he was honorably discharged from the us army Fighting in the Civil War for General Grant he had an outstanding reputation in Saginaw. He started the Darmstatter Brewery at 1610 South Washington in the Grove district at the present site of Hoyt park, with the help of his son the name changed to Saginaw Brewing Company and the business continued to grow shipping beer throughout the midwest and all the way to New York. The brewery closed in 1918 at the start of prohibition and the prominent citizens in the grove district purchased the brewery and it was razed in 1919. the property given to the city with the stipulation that it can only be used as part of Hoyt Park.
As part of the brewery, There was an underground vault where the warming house in now, it was buried after the brewery closed. In the late 1930’s it was excavated and it was full of broken glass from beer bottles, maybe they broke the bottles at the beginning of prohibition and sealed them in the vault, the stones from the vault were used in the construction of the warming house, some of the stones were also used at Ojibway Island for landscaping and can still be seen today.
Get Email updates